Connecticut's Department of Public Utility Control says AT&T must get permission from municipalities in the state before deploying its video-ready access devices on utility poles and in other areas. The statement came in the form of a draft ruling that will be finalized on Sept. 29. The ruling follows an earlier ruling from the DPUC that ordered AT&T to get retroactive permission from residents whose properties were adjacent to areas where AT&T already had deployed its VRADs. This decision comes after three Connecticut communities filed petitions to have the DPUC look at the telco's deployment of the boxes for safety reasons. In the past, there have been reports of the gear catching fire because of a battery problem, though the telco had committed to replace the potentially faulty batteries.
- check out this coverage at Multichannel News
AT&T said earlier this year it would replace 17,000 batteries
AT&T earned a state TV franchise in Connecticut last fall