More advances in streaming IPTV across Wi-Fi this week as Israeli provider of semiconductors for multimedia Wi-Fi home networking applications, Celeno, said it had signed a deal with Deutsche Telekom.
The German telecom will use Speedport W 102 Bridge with Celeno's CL1820 Wi-Fi chip and OptimizAIR technology to distribute its "Entertain" IPTV service wirelessly throughout the home to consumers in Germany. The IPTV service, introduced in 2007, offers 140 TV channels, 15,000 titles, 2,500 national and international radio stations and interactive applications. A hybrid version of Entertain can be received via satellite and therefore by more than 75 percent of all households in Germany.
The Speedport W 102 Bridge will enable German consumers to stream the service to multiple set-top boxes, receiving content wirelessly, as well as share multi-room digital video recorder content wirelessly.
The Celeno's technology exceeds that of conventional Wi-Fi, which is designed for general Internet use, said Ulrich Grote, vice president of terminal management fixed line at Deutsche Telekom. "Celeno's solution not only allows for flawless HD video streaming, it also enables multi-room DVR with the high quality of experience our consumers demand."
The technology offers users a variety of features, including:
- Digital transmit Beamforming MIMO for extended reach;
- Scheduled access for carrier-grade quality of service (QoS) to video and data clients;
- Mesh networking that enables station-to-station direct streaming to enjoy DVR content anywhere;
- Real-time interference detection and seamless radio-channel hopping to mitigate a noisy environment;
- Carrier-grade survivability with hitless software upgrade; and,
- uPNP TR-069 and TR-98 protocol suite to allow for carrier-grade remote management.
Celeno also announced a deal this week with Australian ISP iiNet for Wi-Fi delivery of IPTV. In October, AT&T (NYSE: T) announced a deal with Cisco (Nasdaq: CSCO) to provide Wi-Fi U-verse to homes in its footprint and, in November, Norwegian telco Altibox, tapped Motorola Mobility (NYSE: MMI) to provide wireless access of IPTV and OTT products to its customers.
- see this release
iiNet, Celeno partner on Wi-Fi delivery of IPTV in Australia
Norwegian telco taps Motorola Mobility for wireless IPTV and OTT delivery
AT&T offers wireless U-verse TV with Cisco solution