Dish makes deal with Fox News, ends blackout

Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH) announced that it has come to renewal terms with 21st Century Fox, ending a blackout of Fox News and Fox Business News that had been in place on the satellite carrier since Dec. 20.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, although unnamed sources told the Wall Street Journal that Dish is paying a "significant increase" over its last deal for Fox News. According to SNL Kagan, the channel commands an average per-subscriber licensing fee of about $1 per month. The Journal's sources say that fee just went up to $1.50 per sub for Dish.

The announcement came with a joint statement from Fox VP of Distribution Tim Carrey and Dish Senior VP of Programming Warren Schlichting: "We thank the viewers of Fox News and Fox Business and Dish customers for their patience throughout this process."

At one point in the kerfuffle, Carrey calculated that Dish had lost about 90,000 of its 14 million subscriber base due to the absence of Fox News.

More concrete, transparent data--calculations of Nielsen data--showed that Fox News' ratings had tumbled over 20 percent in the two weeks after the blackout.

For more:
- read this Dish Network press release
- read this Wall Street Journal story

Related links:
Fox News claims blackout has cost Dish 90K subs
Fox News' total audience down over 21% since Dish blackout started
Dish replaces Fox News with Glenn Beck's TheBlaze as analysts predict prolonged battle
Fox News blackout of Dish is on: Will Ergen dig his heels in?
Fox News finds new way to scare its viewers, warns of Dish blackout
Fox News fans storm 800 line and website with Dish deal set to expire Saturday
Dish signs retrans renewal with Nexstar, avoids blackout of 60 channels

Suggested Articles

The service, which is owned by Viacom, said it launched today on X1. It was already available on Xfinity Flex, a streaming video platform service Comcast…

The U.S. streaming video market is on the cusp of big expansion – with players like Apple, Disney and WarnerMedia joining the fray – and it’s going to fuel…

AT&T is planning to officially launch its new streaming version of the full DirecTV product in the third quarter of 2019 and John Donovan, CEO of AT&T…