Motorola Mobility downgrades Q4 forecast

Motorola Mobility (NYSE: MMI), in the process of finalizing a $12.5 billion deal to be purchased by Google (Nasdaq: GOOG), said it likely will miss its previously announced fourth quarter sales figures, blaming an increasingly competitive environment in the mobile device business and higher legal costs associated with ongoing Intellectual Property (IP) litigations.

Motorola said it expects sales of $3.4 billion for the quarter, below the $3.88 billion most analysts had expected. The company said its Home business, which includes set-top boxes, should have sales in excess of $900 million.

In August, Goolge entered into a definitive agreement to buy Motorola for $40 per share in cash, or a total of approximately $12.5 billion. Motorola Mobility stockholders approved the proposed merger with Google in November. The deal is expected to close in the first half of 2012.

Motorola Mobility will release results after markets close on Jan. 26.

For more:
- see this release

Related articles:
Motorola Mobility to cut jobs, pare costs before Google deal wraps
Moto's Jha in line for $66M golden parachute after merger
Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5B
Motorola Mobility's state tax deal leaves a lot of room to grow, or cut, staff

Suggested Articles

A massive media conglomerate like Comcast/NBCUniversal makes news often but this week was particularly busy with an acquisition, a big name reveal and a major…

DAZN, a subscription sports streaming service that launched in 2018, has a new distribution deal in place on Comcast’s X1 and Flex video platforms.

Given the accelerating rate at which consumers are going online for entertainment, Roku said that streaming TV viewers could surpass the amount of pay TV…