Market research firm SNL Kagan has an upcoming whitepaper, "The State of Global IPTV," in which it forecasts worldwide IPTV subscribers to climb to 59.7 million by 2013. That figure could give IPTV an 8.3 percent share of all pay TV households worldwide. SNL Kagan also says that IPTV accounted for about 4.9 percent of pay TV subscribers in 2009, having grown from virtually zero since 2003.
Other numbers to consider:
- Video service revenues could be $22.6 billion by 2013, according to the company's research.
- Western Europe still led all other world regions with 13.2 million IPTV subscribers at the end of 2009.
- Asia Pacific had 9.6 million IPTV customers, and could overtake Western Europe within two years.
- North America had 6 million IPTV subscribers.
SNL Kagan Senior Analyst Ben Reneker will be hosting a panel on over-the-top video revenue opportunities for pay TV operators at next week's IPTV World Forum 2010 in London.
- Here's the SNL Kagan press release
SNL Kagan predicted long-term U.S. telco TV success