This week, Cisco Systems offered its thoughts to BusinessWeek on IPTV and asserted the technology entering the mainstream is not a matter of "if" but "when." Cisco also offered some not-so-insightful remarks on its much talked about acquisition of Scientific-Atlanta last year, but said the move was a step toward offering a complete end-to-end IPTV solution. Here are some more of Cisco's IPTV thoughts:
- IPTV will bring more user generated content, more ad-hoc video and more customization of professional content (camera angle choices, etc.).
- IPTV will remain wired, wireless will always be slower than wired.
- The transition to IPTV will take three to five years.
- Japan, Korea and Italy will drive IPTV adoption, not the U.S.
- Alcatel is Cisco's biggest rival in the IPTV space.
For more on Cisco's IPTV strategy and market outlook:
- take a look at this BusinessWeek interview with Cisco's Mike Volpi