Key findings from the recent report from Light Reading include:
- Verizon's FiOS service promises much more shared bandwidth and faster data speeds than Docsis 3.0
- Cable operators likely won't introduce Docsis 3.0 systems and gear en masse until 2008 or 2009
- Docsis 3.0's deployment, connection, equipment and service expenses will be much lower than FiOS's
- Verizon's FTTP plant will cost less to operate and maintain than cable plant
As we've reported in the past DOCSIS 3.0 claims downstream data rates of 160 Mbps or higher and upstream data rates of 120 Mbps or higher over coax.
For more on DOCSIS 3.0 vs. IPTV:
- see this release from Light Reading