Charges dropped for striking Charter worker accused of cutting cables

Strike signs
The 1,800 New York tech workers have been on strike since March 28.

The District Attorney's Office in the New York Borough of Queens will not file charges against a striking Charter Communications employee who had been arrested in connection with a June vandalism incident that caused 60,000 customers to lose service.

According to ABC News, charges against Michael Tolve, 48, have been dropped pending further investigation of the matter.

Tolve was arrested Wednesday night and charged with criminal mischief for allegedly cutting the cables on June 26, and also for stealing a memory card from a nearby security camera to cover up the crime.

FREE DAILY NEWSLETTER

Like this story? Subscribe to FierceVideo!

The Video industry is an ever-changing world where big ideas come along daily. Cable, Media and Entertainment, Telco, and Tech companies rely on FierceVideo for the latest news, trends, and analysis on video creation and distribution, OTT delivery technologies, content licensing, and advertising strategies. Sign up today to get news and updates delivered to your inbox and read on the go.

It remains unclear as to whether Tolve is a suspect in similar vandalism incidents. Charter told ABC News that its cables have been cut 106 times since Charter tech workers in the New York area went on strike March 28.

RELATED: Charter hit by vandals, 60K in Queens, New York, go without triple play for hours

Damage estimates for the June 26 vandalism incident are reported to be $67,000.

Tolve is reportedly a 14-year company veteran who transitioned to Charter after the cable company purchased Time Warner Cable last year.

The 1,800 New York tech workers under collective bargaining agreement, inherited by Charter when it bought TWC, have been on strike since late March.

Charter reps didn’t immediately respond to FierceCable’s inquiry for comment.

Suggested Articles

There is no one size fits all strategy when it comes to using multi-CDNs to deliver video.

Ad-supported video streaming service Tubi says it now has more than 20 million monthly active users after record growth throughout the first half of 2019.

Viacom’s BET Networks is launching its own subscription video streaming service, BET+, as a joint venture with Tyler Perry Studios. The service is launching in…