Amazon Web Services (AWS) today announced the launch of a suite of five new media services aimed toward companies creating both live and on-demand video content in the cloud.
AWS is hoping its new services will eliminate the need for expensive equipment for video data centers and bring new layers of automation to video operations. The company is promising broadcast-quality video solutions along with security, durability, availability, and scalability for projects like standing up live broadcast channels, converting a library of video-on-demand (VOD) assets for distribution, or streaming live events. AWS Elemental will also incorporate personalized advertisements into streaming video.
“For the better part of six decades, professional-grade video workflows were limited to a few major industry players who could afford to build and maintain customized infrastructure that would be updated only once or twice each decade,” said Alex Dunlap, General Manager at AWS Elemental, in a statement. “These companies spent a great deal of time, money, and focus operating infrastructure with resources that could have been better spent creating great content and viewer experiences. We built AWS Elemental Media Services to let customers focus on delivering top-quality video reliably to any device, everywhere, without the undifferentiated heavy lifting of managing infrastructure. This not only helps traditional video providers innovate faster, but it also opens up new opportunities for startups, government agencies, schools, and multinational enterprises that, before today, had limited access to premium-quality video technology.”
AWS Elemental Media Services include the following individual services:
- AWS Elemental MediaConvert: Format and compress video-on-demand content for delivery to many playback devices, with video transcoding and broadcast-level features.
- AWS Elemental MediaLive: Encode broadcast-grade live video for televisions or connected devices. Stand up broadcast channels or live events and deliver them reliably to your viewers.
- AWS Elemental MediaPackage: Prepare and protect live video streams for delivery to Internet devices with rich playback experience features such as start-over TV.
- AWS Elemental MediaStore: Deliver video from storage optimized for media.
- AWS Elemental MediaTailor: Insert targeted advertising into your video without sacrificing quality.